Wednesday, November 10, 2010

November Thankfulness Day 10......mmm mmm good!

Right now the smell of chicken slowly roasting in the oven is filling the air.  The chicken is sitting on a bed of baby carrots, thinly sliced sweet vidalia onions and fresh cloves of garlic and is cooking in a big dutch oven pot. It smells so good! My mouth is already watering and there is still a whole hour before it is time to eat.  To make this evening's meal complete, I also have a loaf of potato bread baking in the oven because everyone knows you need piping hot bread to smear around in the roasted chicken juices. That makes the whole dinner even better! Mr. Yesteryear Acres has been finding extra reasons to come inside just so he can take a big deep breath and fill up with the wonderful aroma. There is nothing like a good home cooked meal to fill your heart with happiness.  I am particularly thankful today for all the meals I have enjoyed with my family in the home I love so dearly.  I have been often asked why I go to such trouble to make really nice meals every week just for my family.  Why don't I cook simple easy dishes or use convenience foods? Why don't I go out to a restaurant or get carry-out? Well the reason is plain and simple.....I love my cooking.  My children love my cooking. My husband loves my cooking.  My friends and family love my cooking. Even my doggies love my cooking.  To make things even better - I love to cook.  It makes me happy to spend time in my kitchen preparing a meal that I know will bring lots of enjoyment and happiness to the people I love.  My family is always super grateful for all the meals I prepare and they never forget to show their gratitude and love.  It makes it all quite worth the extra effort.  It also saves a lot of money by eating at home.  Tonight's roasted chicken will become Thursday's chicken sandwiches for lunch and then Friday night's Chicken and Dumplings for dinner. I am very good at making leftover meals into something new and delicious.  For example, today in my refrigerator, I had leftover angel hair pasta, broccoli, shredded romaine lettuce and a few coconut shrimp. I turned all of that into the most delicious Thai spicy soup with noodles and shrimp for lunch.  It was really good and I used up all the little bits and pieces of leftovers in the refrigerator. I don't think you could have found a yummier soup! So today I am thankful for home-cooked meals. I am thankful for all the wonderful ingredients that go into each and every meal I make. I am grateful for a lifestyle that allows me to prepare yummy dinners each night.  But most of all - I am thankful for my family who gathers around the dinner table each evening, happy to spend the time together, eating a wonderful meal, and enjoying each other's company.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to Comment, Post Doodle Pictures and Share your Thoughts!