Friday, July 12, 2024

The Start of a Sourdough Summer

 This year for his birthday my brother asked for homemade sourdough bread, sourdough biscuits, and sourdough cookies. And my reply was “but I’ve never done homemade sourdough anything. I don’t have a starter. I don’t know what I’m doing”
To which Austin replied “ I BEE LOAF in You” with a bee shaped bread loaf sticker. 
What is a sister to do but start experimenting in sourdough? 
I dug through some old cookbooks until I found a sourdough starter recipe that I liked. I made it 4 days before I needed to have sourdough bread made. 
I covered my mixture and sent all the good vibes I had into having this workout
4 days later and I was very pleased to see a nice bubbly mixture ready to be turned into endless possibilities! 
I tried a recipe for San Francisco Sourdough Bread and set the bread mixer to 'dough and proof'
Three hours later I had an epically overflowing batch of dough!
I kneaded and shaped the dough and prepared a cornmeal cookie sheet. My little dough babies were ready for their last rise!
After a 1 hour bread nap, it was time for the oven!
Cooking to golden birthday perfection
I pulled the loaves out of the oven about 45 minutes later and had a perfect internal temperature as well as the hollow knocking sound!
Hot and ready to eat!
I am pleased to say that they were delicious! And quickly consumed to the point where we forgot to take pictures of the pretty slices of bread.
With my starter fed and ready to go, I think I shall try the Sourdough Chocolate Chip Cookies next!
I think we have just begun a Sourdough Summer! I do believe I am a crazy sourdough lady now... Austin what have you done!?!
If you have favorite sourdough recipes to feed my newest obsession and starter... Please send them my way! 
Happy Sourdough Fri-Yay
Always,
Amelia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to Comment, Post Doodle Pictures and Share your Thoughts!