Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Call of the Wild

Every Wednesday at exactly 12 noon, the sirens for the county's tornado warning system go off.  Our country runs weekly tests on the emergency warning system to make sure everything is operational.  Long before my human ears can actually hear the sirens  - my dearest doggies are already answering the call of the wild.  My dogs mistakenly believe that the tornado warning sirens are in fact their long lost ancestors calling them.  Being the ever so polite doggies that they are - they answer right back.  All of them answer. Most of my doggies do the long drawn out wailing: HALLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! How are YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU?  A few throw in a staccato answer: "YEP! YEP! YEP! YEP! WHAT. IS. UP? This goes on for the entire duration of the siren call. Today we were hit with HUGE storms.  A big cell of thunderstorms and tornadoes headed straight for our county.  My son had his Home Meet for his Cross Country today and Mr. Yesteryear Acres actually finished all his work early just so he could go watch our son run.  My son was super excited to see us both at his meet.  Literally seconds before the starter gun went off, the tornado sirens started.  The meet was cancelled and we barely made it home before getting hammered by the storm. My doggies, being the thoughtful good citizens that they are, had been diligently warning every one within ear shot of the incoming storm.  Even after we let them know that YES, we could actually hear the sirens ourselves, they continued their song of the wild. They were quite proud too.  Heads thrown all the way back and noses straight up to the sky, "IT IS WIIIIIIIIIIIIINDY!!!!!!!!"  "IT MIGHT RAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN" "HALLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" "IT IS A RATHER BLUSTERY DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!"  I am sure my entire county thanks them for their vital assistance in getting the message across that there could  be the slightest chance of impending doom. I believe my doggies are much more enthusiastic and skilled at sending warning messages that the county is and the county could just stop the official siren business all together.  I feel confident that my doggies would never let the dear citizens of our county down. They will faithfully announce any weather system - day or night. Now that the storm has passed, my doggies are all sound asleep.  All that hard work just knocked them out.  It is a very hard job to be such a good watch dog. I am sure they are all dreaming about how excited they will be when next Wednesday rolls around. "HALLOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....it is NOOOOOOOOOOOON!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to Comment, Post Doodle Pictures and Share your Thoughts!