Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Harvesting and more Harvesting

Last night I was totally right on my estimated time when I would finish canning my tomatoes.  The last timer went off at 12:55am. Sadly, I was off on my total quart count and only amassed 38 quarts for a full day spent elbow deep in tomatoes. *sigh*  That means I need just about 15-20 more quarts before I call this year's crushed tomato canning officially over.  Mr. Yesteryear Acres and I were totally swamped all day. Our day started much as it does every day with.....yes you guessed it....PUPPY POOP!  I was up early and got all the puppies cleaned and fed and watered and then cleaned up the kitchen from last night's canning mess.  I had HUGE stockpots soaking overnight and can you believe it?????  They were still there this morning! And still dirty!!! Honestly!  You would think that I would have earned a little magic last night! I had planned on getting the rest of my tomatoes canned this morning but as always here at Yesteryear Acres - plans change in an instant.  I got the dreaded "MOM I am SICK" call around 9:30 and had to go to the school to pick up my daughter.  She has a high fever and hurts everywhere and is beyond miserable.  Poor thing!  She is really sick.  She couldn't even drive home from school so Mr. Yesteryear Acres and I went to get her and her car.  She has been miserable all day long with no signs of improvement.  I might have to run her to the doctor tomorrow if she still looks as bad.  She has some wicked virus that is for sure!  In between caring for her and the puppies, I did manage to slice and chop fresh picked veggies and they are now roasting in the oven.  We had beautiful zucchini, eggplant, onions and tomatoes just begging to be roasted. I think I made about 2 full gallons of roasted vegetables. I also had the (notice the sarcastic font coming up) COMPLETE JOY of doing my quarterly taxes today and take them to the post office.  Ahhhhh. So much fun. I am fairly certain that whilst paying my taxes - that was the only moment I actually sat down today. I still have tomatoes to do this evening. It is almost 7pm and Mr. Yesteryear Acres is just now getting to the garden to pick the tomatoes for tonight's canning festivities.  It will definitely be a late one. Tomorrow we hope to start bright and early and it will actually be Picadilly Day!  I totally forgot about getting my green beans pickled.  They are REALLY good!  Nice crisp fresh green beans that taste like pickles. Mmmmmmm. After that - ALL I have left to can will be my famous delicious Salsa! MAYBE just MAYBE by the end of the weekend the constant harvesting and canning will come to a close.  This week will be non-stop work as the vegetables all need picked and my pantry needs stocked for the winter.  Reminds me of the Aesop's fable, "The Ant and the Grasshopper" and I hope being the busy little ant will bring much appreciation this winter. As the fable goes, "To work today is to eat tomorrow".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to Comment, Post Doodle Pictures and Share your Thoughts!