Friday, October 29, 2010

The Garden That Won't Stop

Here it is the end of October and we are still enjoying a bountiful harvest from our garden.  This is astounding!  Yesterday we had the most delicious roasted brussel sprouts.  The brussel sprouts were just the right size.  I didn't need to cut them in half or in quarters which saved a ton of work.  I made a big roasting pan full and we were literally fighting for the last few pieces.  They were that good.  Mr. Yesteryear Acres called them "popcorn sprouts" because each brussel sprout was about the size of a piece of popped popcorn and just as addictive to eat.  Tonight's harvest brought more fresh tomatoes and a peck basket full of eggplant. My daughter and I spent 3 solid hours making baked eggplant slices.  I also made a fresh tomato sauce that was ridiculously delicious.  We were drinking the sauce.  The eggplant was so yummy, our efforts were worth it.  We all had at least 2 big servings each and then tipped the plates up to our mouths to drink every last drop of sauce. mmmmm.  My stomach is so big right now that I have to push my laptop down towards my knees just to have room to type. I am stuffed.  We ended up with enough eggplant to freeze which is awesome.  This winter we will look forward to another eggplant dinner and it will only take 10 minutes to heat up.  That in itself is something to look forward to.  Tomorrow we are having fresh picked green beans.  I feel so fortunate to have had so many months of fresh veggies to enjoy! I don't think our garden has ever lasted so long.  We still have quite a few tomatoes to pick. Our goal is to enjoy tomatoes throughout the month of November.  Mr. Yesteryear Acres particularly wants to eat a red ripe tomato picked from the vine on November 1st.  I am not sure that Mother Nature will cooperate but we can always try.  Pretty soon we will just have to harvest the remaining tomatoes in order to save them from the frost. The green ones will all be individually wrapped in newspaper and stored in a cool dark place.  With any luck on the First of December, Mr. Yesteryear Acres and I will unwrap a few treasured tomatoes and enjoy a summer tomato sandwich for lunch whilst the cold December wind fills the outdoors. I can't think of a better way to bring in the holiday season!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to Comment, Post Doodle Pictures and Share your Thoughts!