Monday, June 20, 2011

The Meatloaf Curse

Yesterday in honor of Father's Day - of course I had to make "Man Food" for dinner.  Man food makes Mr. Yesteryear Acres happy. Man food makes my son happy.  Man food has to have at least one of the following characteristics:
Fattening
Greasy
Fattening
Fart Inducing
Fattening
Gross
Fattening
Full of Nitrates
Fattening
Unhealthy
Sometimes Man Food will have all of the listed requirements - such as Smoked Sausage and Sauerkraut.  Sometimes just one requirement, such as calf brain or calf liver - will be sufficient to call the dish an official "Man Food".  Last night I made homemade honey oatmeal bread, meatloaf, gravy (from scratch), mashed potatoes, corn and for dessert my daughter made her ever so delectable apple pie.  Perfect.  Man food menu complete! We had a super busy day so we had things scheduled down to the minute. The last time I made meatloaf was late last summer.  We had a lot of extra zucchini and tomatoes and other veggies from the garden so I ended up grating all the fresh veggies into the meatloaf and it was DELICIOUS. I was really proud of myself.  I made 2 loaves and everyone loved dinner.  The next morning when I walked into the kitchen, what was sitting on the stove? THE leftover MEATLOAF! ACK!  Mr. Yesteryear Acres practically cried! No meatloaf sandwiches! No meatloaf for breakfast! No meatloaf!!!!  It was a devastating blow.  Given the horrors of me forgetting to put the meatloaf into the refrigerator last time - I made sure to have my list ready for the Father's Day main event. I wanted no mistakes.  I ended up making the meatloaf and getting it into the pans about an hour too early.  No problem! I wrapped up the loaves and stuck them in the refrigerator.  My daughter had just put the apple pie in the oven and it was due to come out in exactly one hour. Perfect! Pie out...meatloaf in.  In the meantime, we prepared all the other yummy food.  My daughter and I were just finishing up the most delicious perfectly whipped mashed potatoes. I decided to add some heavy whipping cream to the potatoes to make sure they were manly enough.  Of course I am sure you can figure out where this story is headed.  I am sure you know exactly what I saw in the refrigerator when I opened it. I am positive you know EXACTLY what was staring me in the face....THE MEATLOAF!  I forgot to put the meatloaf in the oven!!!! ACK! Thank goodness we have a warming drawer!!!  The mashed potatoes went right into the warming drawer, the gravy was turned down to low, the corn was on simmer and sadly the hot steaming loaf of honey oatmeal bread got to cool off a bit.  Even though dinner was delayed by a good hour - it was worth it.  Mr. Yesteryear Acres loved his Father's Day dinner....and yes...the leftovers made it safely to the refrigerator!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to Comment, Post Doodle Pictures and Share your Thoughts!