Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Time to Lift Weights

Well my health results today were not as terrific as I had hoped.  2 years ago I found out that I had extremely low muscle mass.  It was quite concerning as I had several medical issues stemming from the low muscle mass issue. I immediately began a strength training program and faithfully weight trained 3x a week for the entire year.  Last year I found out that I had gained 5lbs of muscle mass.  I was so proud of myself.  I dropped my fat percentage to 26% and was in optimal health.  This year I weighed in at a mere one pound higher than last year.  I have faithfully adhered to a strength training program but instead of lifting weights 3x a week, I did my strength training 2-3 times a week, missing one week altogether for the year.  I got my results today and sadly, I have lost the entire 5lbs of muscle mass I had previously gained. I am super sad!!!  I had worked so hard and I continue to work hard but since I did not know to keep increasing my weights incrementally every time I was able to do 12 repetitions without straining, I had kept to the same exact workout this past year. This did nothing to build muscle and in addition because I am getting older each year - I am faced with losing muscle mass each passing year. Sigh.  I am now back at the beginning.  I have to start all over again and faithfully strength train 3x a week.  No misses.  No light weights. And I have to keep increasing my weights each time I can successfully lift 10 reps in a row. The good news is that I know I will do it.  I know I can do it.  I am so grateful to have found out now rather than to keep thinking I am awesome when in fact, I am not all that awesome.  I have a few more medical tests coming my way but for now - time to go lift weights (again).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to Comment, Post Doodle Pictures and Share your Thoughts!