Monday, October 31, 2011

Thunder Hail

It is Halloween right? October 31st? Not quite yet November? Well someone should tell Mother Nature that! During dinner tonight the skies opened up and hail came plummeting to the ground.  It was thundering and lightning and the ground became completely white within minutes. Our road out front had inches of ice before we could even get our jackets on. Of course since our road is the official autobahn of the United States - we had THREE accidents happen within minutes of the thunder hailstorm.  I do not know what in the world is just so earth shatteringly important that the drivers around here have to FLY around the corner - but they do. And we have accidents on the bend way too often.  Tonight was a complete mess.  Cars in the ditches. Cars hitting cars.  We had firetrucks, ambulances and police cars.  Mr. Yesteryear Acres and my son were once again first on the scene.  While other drivers sat in their cars waiting for the hail to stop, Mr. Yesteryear Acres and my son were helping the injured motorists. The fact that NO one got out of their car is very disturbing.  They had time to be on their phones. They had time to complain that they were now going to be late getting home but NO one got out to help.  Granted it was hailing and storming but come on!  I am pretty darn sure a little snow and ice wouldn't have hurt them. Seriously - Mr. Yesteryear Acres and my son were the only ones out in the hailstorm until the emergency crews arrived.  Luckily all the injuries appeared to be minor.  My son got to wait with the Fire Chief for the jaws of life to arrive.  This past spring my son's class had a youth-in-government day. My son was the official Fire Chief for the day and the Fire Chief remembered him.  My guess is that "I want to be a fireman when I grow up" might be talked about again here for the next few weeks.  If this weather keeps up - he will have a lot of practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to Comment, Post Doodle Pictures and Share your Thoughts!