Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Walking Etiquette

I was recently asked if I would do a blog post on proper dog walking etiquette so here are my thoughts on taking your beloved furry best friend on a walk. First and foremost, be in control of your four-legged friend.  I often see doggies taking their humans for a walk.  This should never be the case.  Humans should be the ones taking their doggies for a walk. Your doggie should be paying attention to you, walking by your side and listening and watching for your cues. I also believe that even if you have the very best behaved doggie in all the world, your doggie should still be on a leash when you are out in public spaces.  Just because you might know (and believe) you have complete control over your off-leash doggie, that does not mean that same belief transfers to other people.  It isn't right to make other people feel fearful or worried when they walk by. They are entitled to the same sense of security that you feel. Good manners are essential for both humans and doggies alike! We are so lucky here at Yesteryear Acres.  We have acres upon acres of land to take our doggies on walks.
Our doggies LOVE going for off-leash walks with us. 
We always have the best time with them.
We practice recall, retrieval, training, come and stay commands. 
They are very good listeners!
Even if our doggies are very good at "STAY" - they still need a leash whenever we go walking elsewhere.
I prefer using a 2 foot traffic lead.  I like to have my doggies in a nice tight heel when I walk.
My son is comfortable with all lengths of leashes.  He always has multiple best furry friends accompany him on walks.
No matter which leash you prefer, keep your doggies in control and with you at all times.

They will thank you for keeping them safe.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to Comment, Post Doodle Pictures and Share your Thoughts!