Tuesday, November 15, 2011

November Thankfulness - Day 15 - Handyman

Oh my did we have storms race through our town last night.  Tornado warnings, 2+ inches of rain in less than 30 minutes, winds, thunder, lightening.  It was a good one.  Our creek turned into rapids in minutes and our whole backyard looked like a swamp. The tornado sirens were all blaring and Mr. Yesteryear Acres got out all the emergency supplies, candles, flashlights, emergency radio, etc.  We are very efficient with our storm protocol.  We have it down to a science.  Just like clockwork - after about the 3rd lightening strike - we lost electricity.  I am fairly certain we are on some electric company circuit that is so sensitive that a tickle from a feather would cause a blackout. We always have to be prepared.  We had all the doggies in the basement with us and waited for the tornado warning to pass.  Eventually the electricity came back on and it was 12:30am by the time I headed up to bed. As soon as I got up to my bed, I asked Mr. Yesteryear Acres what the heck was all over my pillows. They were covered in white pieces of "dirt" and it was everywhere.  When I got closer, I realized it was in fact....plaster.....from the ceiling....on my VERY VERY WET pillows!  The roof was leaking, through the attic, all the way through the ceiling, all the way to my poor poor pillows. Now Mr. Yesteryear Acres was already in bed.  With 3 doggies. All snuggled up for the night. Did he notice the "drip, drip, drip" onto my pillows? No.  Did he notice that my pillows now weighed approximately 50lbs each from soaking up all the water? Nope.  Did he notice that the ceiling was still dripping water ON THE BED? Nope again.  sigh.  Who doesn't notice water pouring from the ceiling????  I dug out a huge bucket to catch the dripping water and got Mr. Yesteryear Acres to help move the bed so that we wouldn't end up swimming in the middle of the night.  Can anyone guess what the new repair project is?  Yep - Roof Repair. Today's thankfulness is that I am so thankful that I am married to a real life Handyman.  Mr. Yesteryear Acres can fix anything. I just wish his "fix-it" list wasn't quite so long!  Living in a house that was built in 1823 means that at any given time - something needs repaired and Mr. Yesteryear Acres is our handyman repairman. He is on call 24/7 and is the most dedicated, reliable, hardworking, loving handyman.  I am thankful to have him for all our many never ending projects. Speaking of which....time to get the big ladder out.. again. Thank you Mr. Yesteryear Acres!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to Comment, Post Doodle Pictures and Share your Thoughts!