Monday, November 21, 2011

November Thankfulness - Day 21 - Conversations

Time really flew by today and I still didn't get everything done that I was hoping to accomplish.  It is 9:30pm and I still have about 2 more hours of work to do before I can take a break.  It was just one long busy full day and tomorrow will be more of the same. With Thanksgiving right around the corner and puppies going home this weekend, my list of things to get done is pretty endless. Tonight after dinner my son started talking to me about what he wants to do when he gets older.  What kind of career he would like to have and what type of activities he enjoys. I almost said that I was too busy to talk. I almost said that I have a ton of work to do and can we talk about this another time.  And in only thinking about the work I have to do - I almost missed an opportunity to bond with my son. I am so thankful I put down my keyboard. I am so thankful I listened to what my son wanted to talk about. I am thankful that I took the time to realize that work is work - but talking with my son - that is something I never want to miss.  We had a really great conversation.  We talked about what majors in college lead to which career paths.  We talked about the Naval Academy and how much he would like to go there.  We talked about his future, his hopes, his dreams and all that he wants to accomplish. I am thankful to have a son that likes to talk to me. I am thankful that I am home and available when my son reaches out. I am thankful that even though I still have tons of work to do - none if it will ever be more important or more pressing than sharing an evening with my son. He has an amazing future ahead of him. I am so thankful I get to be a part of the planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to Comment, Post Doodle Pictures and Share your Thoughts!