Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Are you still ironing?

My son leaves early tomorrow morning for the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland.  He is going for the official candidate visit and will be staying in Bancroft Hall for the weekend.  We have to pack sheets and athletic work out gear and all of that for his weekend away.  If you read my blog often, you probably know that well-pressed crisp ironed shirts are not needed at Yesteryear Acres. In fact, my son's very favorite outfit is a white t-shirt and jeans.  When he dresses up, he may break out a colored t-shirt.  OOOOH.  That's when you know he is all fancy.  If he is REALLY dressing up - my son moves onto a flannel shirt. That's when you know he is serious. This weekend however calls for something beyond his white undershirt or favorite flannel.  My son needs to wear nice clothing and so he brought down several shirts for me to iron.  If you were to rate my ironing skills on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being the ironing ability of a 4 year old and 10 being the ironing skill of my mother-in-law - I would rate a -11.  I am literally the worse ironer on the planet.  I was never taught to iron properly and I spend half my ironing time pressing in more wrinkles than removing existing wrinkles.  It is one of the chores I loathe the most.  I rarely do it.  Ask Mr. Yesteryear Acres.  Every now and then he wishes I would iron a shirt for him so he could wear something really nice and crisp and fancy.  I just hand him a polo shirt and say, "this is SUPER fancy!" I just don't iron. So when my son, who needs to look his best, brought me his shirts, of course I said I would iron his shirts.  The shirts sat in front of me for most of the day.  They taunted me with their wrinkles.  I finally acquiesced and dug the ironing board out of the back of the closet and started ironing. Every now and then my son came in the room to see if I was done with his shirts. Nope.  After 90 minutes had passed, he walked in and said, "Are you still ironing?!!!?" Sadly my answer was yes.  I was only on the third shirt. sigh. I need remedial ironing help. OR better yet.......... Hey son! How about a good ole polo shirt!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to Comment, Post Doodle Pictures and Share your Thoughts!