Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Nov 12 - Tomato Thankfulness

Our garden this year was quite sad and pathetic.  We just couldn't beat Mother Nature and our garden suffered.  It was probably the worst yield of vegetables we have ever had. I usually spend a good portion of late summer putting up vegetables for the year. My minimum goal each year is
104 Quarts of Tomatoes
24 pints of Salsa
52 pints each of Green Beans, Sweet Corn, and Beets
48 Quarts each of Eggplant and Zucchini
and then I also like to have varying amounts of Sugar Snap Peas, Brussel Sprouts, Carrots, Peppers, Potatoes and anything else Mr. Yesteryear Acres plants that year. We love having our own veggies to eat all year round.  Well this year, I got exactly ZERO Quarts of Tomatoes.  ZERO! That is the saddest number I ever had! I have been reduced to buying canned tomatoes from the store! EGAD! I never have to do that.  Now when I cook, my pot roast isn't as delicious.  My pasta isn't as delicious. My soups aren't as delicious. Nothing is as delicious as it could be with my very own homegrown tomatoes! I had already resolved to never have anything taste delicious again when.......Mr. Yesteryear Acres found 60 quart jars of my tomatoes!  I forgot that last year we had soooo many tomatoes, I ended up canning extras! We had them stored in the basement and today Mr. Yesteryear Acres found our secret stash! I AM SO THANKFUL!  Thank you past self for working so hard to can extra tomatoes! Thank you Mr. Yesteryear Acres for suggesting the massive tomato canning event last year. Thank you last year's garden for being so bountiful.  I think I will just sit and look at my cabinet full of jars upon jars of beautiful summer tomatoes.  I can't wait to make the most delicious dinners!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to Comment, Post Doodle Pictures and Share your Thoughts!