Tuesday, August 16, 2011

And We Are Off

The car was finally packed to its limits last night at midnight. All the Naval Academy issued gear tucked away safely for the long journey back. My daughter and I headed out the door first thing this morning armed with coffee and the GPS set for USNA. So starts the beginning of her senior year at the Naval Academy. I can't believe this is her last year. I can't believe I survived having her so far from home for these past 3 years. I can't believe I am driving her back to school for her very last year of college. One more year. That is it. That is all that is left. Next May she will have her Bachelor of Science Degree in Chemistry and will be commissioned as an Officer in the Navy or Marine Corps. Then she will be headed off to parts unknown for adventures I can barely wrap my thoughts around. Even though I am used to saying good-bye to her - I think this time it will be a little bit harder. This time - I know that having her so far from home, working as hard as she can at the Naval Academy - will be one of the easiest things I ever had to worry about. The future that awaits her is closer than ever. I think I will give her an extra hug or two when I say good-bye. My older daughter is mere footsteps away from a future that is bigger than I ever imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to Comment, Post Doodle Pictures and Share your Thoughts!