Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Computer Age

This morning bright and early I showed up at my in-laws doorstep so that I could help them set up their brand new computer.  My father-in-law purchased his new computer almost a month ago and sadly I have been so busy I haven't been able to get over there to help him.  This morning as soon as I woke up, and had some delicious coffee ala Mr. Yesteryear Acres, I dashed out the door to their rescue.  I estimated it would take about 2 hours to get it all set up and done. All I had to do was set up his new computer, download all the updates, install microsoft and then transfer his information from my old laptop that he had been borrowing from me to his new computer. Simple.  Even a caveman could do it. OR COULD HE???? As soon as I started the project I remembered quite painfully why I got rid of my old laptop. It hates me.  Yes the old laptop actually despises me and thinks it is funny to say "FATAL ERROR"  "FATAL ERROR"  "CANNOT PROCESS REQUEST" over and over again. Oh my gosh it was so frustrating.  I would try to copy a simple file and the "estimated time" would start at 2 minutes, then increase to 5 minutes, then 3 hours, then 9 hours 38 minutes and then the screaming (on my part) would commence.  It didn't matter whether the file was 2KB or 2GB the computer fought me at every step.  It took me over 5 hours to get everything off of my laptop. His new computer however was awesome. He has a brand new monitor and it is so pretty. Oooooh -  I have monitor envy!  It is nice and big and so crisp and clear.  I love it! I downloaded all the updates for his new computer. Then as every person who has every set up a computer knows -- I downloaded more updates and then more again until finally the new computer was satisfied it was totally up-to-date. I did end up successfully getting EVERYTHING transferred to the new computer and was relieved when it was all done.  I showed my father-in-law where all his files and programs were located and bookmarked a few favorite websites for him.  As I was leaving, I decided to show my mother-in-law where to find everything on the new computer only to find out she didn't even know how to get online. Poor sweet mother-in-law! I gave her a quick tutorial, showed her how to use a search engine and bookmarked my blog (HI MOM-IN-LAW!!!!) so that she can read all about what is happening here at Yesteryear Acres.  I also showed her how to get on facebook so that she can see all the beautiful pictures she has been missing.  Now she knows how to see pictures of all her children and grand-children and great grand-children. I am so happy for her.  I never knew she was missing out on all the good stuff.  Dear Mother-in-Law.....I am happy to see you here.  I hope you and your hubby are happy with your new computer set up!  I love you!!!! Love, your adoring daughter-in-law.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to Comment, Post Doodle Pictures and Share your Thoughts!