Monday, November 28, 2011

Crying Like A Little Girl

So I am usually really tough when it comes to injuries.  I rarely cry when I get hurt. I think the last time I cried over an injury was when I was about 8 months pregnant with my first child and the disc in my back blew out and I fell to the ground in pain.  I physically could not get up off the floor. I admit it - I cried that day.  I can't remember crying over physical pain since.  Not even when I was hit by a drunk driver.  Not even when I had my heart attack. Not until...last night.  Yes, when I slipped and fell on my wet grassy hill, I cried out loud. I heard the largest "POP" when I fell and I believe I cried out something like, "OH MY GOSH! OW OW OW I BROKE MY ANKLE, I BROKE MY ANKLE!!!!!!!!!"  or something to that effect. I believe I was crying like a little girl.  Now I DID stop crying in less than 2 minutes so it was a very short pity party, but yes, I still cried.  At the exact same moment I fell down the TREACHEROUS EMBANKMENT,  the TUMULTUOUS MUDSLIDE, the INCREDIBLY DANGEROUS STEEP SLOPE.....aka....the small wet and slightly muddy grassy hill outside my door...my younger daughter was leaving to go back to college so it was quite a big emotional production.  I managed to get myself up off the ground and stand up and wave goodbye to her with NO crying.  I am good like that.  This morning - I woke up, got off the couch (as I couldn't make it upstairs to bed) and stood up only to shriek just a bit. My leg hurt but I kept saying, "It's not THAT bad."  I took a shower and gingerly got in and out of the tub saying, "It's not THAT bad."  I put all my weight on my leg and if I stood JUST right - again it wasn't THAT bad.  I tried various positions, various methods of walking, various baby steps to find the exact, "it's not that bad" method of transportation.  Just to be on the safe side, Mr. Yesteryear Acres did take me to Urgent Care when it opened this morning. I told the very nice x-ray technician that it wasn't that bad.  I told the doctor that it wasn't that bad.  And then I found out....it WAS that bad!  My crying like a little girl was evidently justified. First - the Doctor examined my leg and said that I completely ruptured the tendon in my leg.  As in ruptured.  As in torn from the bone.  Then I had x-rays taken.  When the Doctor walked back in the room she said, "Everyone who doesn't have a broken ankle, raise their hands!" So Mr. Yesteryear Acres and I raised our hands.  She told me to put my hand down. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  I broke my ankle! I also broke the weight bearing bone in my leg! She said that if I put ANY weight on it, I can displace everything and make the break even worse. NOOOOOOOOOOO!  I had to get a temporary hard cast put on and tomorrow I have to go to an orthopedic surgeon! Nooooooooo!  The kind of break combined with my tendon rupture means NO WEIGHT BEARING on that leg AT ALL......for 4-6 Weeks!  None.  I have to have a hard cast. No showers.  No hot tub. No walking.  No carrying my cup of hot coffee.  No walking the doggies.  No exercising. No walking in the woods.  No playing with the puppies outside.  Noooooooooo!  This is not good. sigh. I can't even stand up for very long because I have to keep my leg elevated ALL THE TIME.  WAH!  Okay - just for today - I think I will go cry like a little girl. I BROKE MY ANKLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAH!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! So sorry to read about your injury. Hopefully you'll find some joy in the mandatory rest from the hustle and bustle of life and the holidays. Wishing you a quick recovery!
    Christine P. from Maryland

    ReplyDelete

Feel Free to Comment, Post Doodle Pictures and Share your Thoughts!