Friday, September 28, 2012

Scale of Happiness

When I got on the scale this morning I was treated to SUCH a HAPPY sight!!!  I am actually officially UNDER the weight posted on my Driver's License! WHAT?!  Yes!!!!!! My driver's license is over 4 years old and I had it renewed shortly after having my heart attack.  To make having a heart attack even MORE fun - I got pneumonia in the hospital as I was recovering from the heart attack and was really very sick.  I lost almost 20lbs during that month.  When I was finally well enough to renew my driver's license, I put my new (although  understated) weight on my license.  Well of course as soon as I got better - the weight just came right back and then some!  I mean I LOVE ICE CREAM!!!!!!  I REALLY LOVE IT!  Evidently if you treat yourself to a pint of ice cream every single night - you gain weight! So tragic!  This August, I made a new resolution to start working out regularly and to eat more whole grains.  It was time for a change as my stomach kind of looked like I was at the end of my second trimester.  I actually started thinking I was going to have to name my belly! I had to come up with a new plan! When I say I love white food - believe me - I am a white food addict.  I love white squishy bread.  I love white pasta.  I love white rice. I think Miracle Whip on white squishy bread is DOUBLE DELICIOUS!  So when I heard I should quit eating so much white food - I almost went into shock!  No white bread??!!!!  I MIGHT DIE!  Well - I can tell you - I didn't die.  In fact, I got healthier.  And I feel better. I have not turned into a total crazy health food nut - but now I read the labels before I eat something.  I make sure the things that I eat are things I can pronounce!  Familiar ingredients that are real. And I started adding whole grains to our diet at Yesteryear Acres. Instead of baking my usual loaf of Good ole White Bread, I now bake a loaf of Honey Oatmeal Bread with Flax Seeds.  I even add wheat to the bread! And you know what? It is really good! It still has all that hot fresh steaming right from the oven goodness but SO much better for you!  Instead of cooking plain white rice - I put in equal parts of brown rice and white rice together in the pot.....and no one can tell! Mr. Yesteryear Acres is losing weight. I am losing weight.  And neither of us are hungry. I have come up with lots of new recipes in the past 2 months. If anybody is interested - I am happy to share!  I even have perfected a lowfat homemade ice cream that is DELICIOUS!!!!  250 calories for ONE cup and man - I tell you - you will never miss all the heavy whipping cream. It is that good! So try adding whole grain goodness to your diet..... your scale will finally make you smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to Comment, Post Doodle Pictures and Share your Thoughts!