Tuesday, November 23, 2010

November Thankfulness Day 23.....BLACK FRIDAY is coming!

The mad shopping rush is almost upon us and you know what that means....BLACK FRIDAY is almost here!  Black Friday - which of course HAS to get its name from the fact that it is PITCH black outside when you walk to your car and drive to the store, and then stand in line outside in the freezing cold, in the dark, just waiting and waiting for the doors to open.  Why? Why put up with that kind of torture? Well it is the big SALE DAY! Lots and lots of SALES!  I love a good sale.  I am always thankful for a good sale.  I will get up at the wee hours of the morning just to get a really good sale.  I have taken some serious ribbing over the years in my quest to secure the very best sales of the season, but I never let that shake my determination.  I never let that stop me from standing in line for hours to get the whatchamacallit or whoozywhatzit at ridiculously low prices.  I hold steadfast in my drive to be the very best Santa shopper of the season. I have loved ones to buy for. I have Christmas wishes to make true.  I have lists upon lists to cross off. I love getting the very best deal so that I can give an even bigger gift than I thought possible. The day after Thanksgiving is one of the very best sale days.  It is however, a day only for the prepared, for the strong, for the determined AND for the patient ones. In order to survive, you have to put on your zen-like happy face, wear your most comfortable shoes, put some snacks in your car, get a big thermos of coffee and be ready to spend the day. It isn't all that joyous.  It isn't all that thrilling BUT if you are very very lucky - you can get most of your list crossed off and spend 1/2 of what you thought you would have to spend.  It is really worth it.  So Thanksgiving morning, the first thing I will do is run to the end of the driveway to get my huge Thanksgiving Day paper filled with the sales ads. I will then plan my day from start to finish, hitting all the best sales at the best times possible. Okay okay okay - that isn't exactly true.  The very first thing I will do on Thanksgiving morning is ask Mr. Yesteryear Acres to run to the end of the driveway to get the huge Thanksgiving Day paper filled with sales ads. After all - I need to save my strength for the following morning.  Mr. Yesteryear Acres always stays nestled in our soft comfy bed, sound asleep, while I don my arctic wear to prepare for the day's olympic event. It is always ridiculously cold outside.  It is always ridiculously dark outside.  As I walk out into the frigid temperatures, I have to remind myself that this is what it takes to be a good Santa's helper. I remind myself that the rewards will come to those who brave the cold, who brave the lines, and for those who decide that sleep is for the weak.  I am ready for my task. I will check the weather forecast. I will put on the appropriate marathon shopping attire.  I will head out with a smile on my face and I will be grateful and thankful each time I get my receipt with the big savings. The easiest part of the day is being thankful.  Sometimes Black Friday shoppers forget to be thankful.  I know it is hard to be thankful when you have been standing in line for hours BUT just remember this simple premise........all those goodies that you are purchasing will bring happiness to those you love.  You will hear the "Ooohs and Aaahh" and "I can't believe you got this" and "It is just what I always wanted" or maybe even "Ooooh a Zepplin!" You will be thanked.  You will feel the gratitude.  You will be surrounded by a sea of gift wrappings and happy hearts.  The thanks you remember on Black Friday will be returned to you a thousand times over.  That makes standing in line infinitely worth it. Tis the season!!!! Happy Shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to Comment, Post Doodle Pictures and Share your Thoughts!