Saturday, June 25, 2011

It Doesn't Matter

I had such a good time being with my sister and her family.  The weather wasn't great - the mosquitoes were ravenous - but the love of a family trumps anything Mother Nature can throw our way.
Right before bed one night I went into my daughter's room and said,
"It doesn't matter where you go, it doesn't matter what the weather holds, the thing that makes a great vacation is who you are with. Thank you for making this such a fun weekend getaway."
I said the same thing to my sister and then went into my son's room and said the same thing again.  A few minutes later my son came into my room and said, "It doesn't matter where you go, it doesn't matter what the weather holds, it doesn't matter who you are with....the thing that makes a great vacation is what food you get to eat!"
Needless to say, my son had the time of his life.  My brother-in-law did almost ALL the cooking the entire time we were there. He made gigantic man breakfasts, man lunches and man dinners. Everything was made from scratch.  My son was in heaven. For real FOOD HEAVEN!  My brother in-law is Irish - and well - let's just say we had our fair share of potatoes.  Now before I share our bountiful feast, let me remind you - we were gone exactly 2 1/2 days.  You might want to sit down, get a cup of coffee and get comfortable. My brother-in-law knows how to make some fantastic feasts!
We had:
Irish Dinner - (ground beef, mashed potatoes and cabbage)

Man Soup - (Ham, Potato and Cabbage )

Man Breakfast (Ham Steak, Fried Egg, Potato Pancakes, Onions, Bacon, Bagels)

Corned Beef Dinner (Corned Beef, Buttered Parsley New Potatoes, Beets, Cabbage, Carrots, Sunflower Bread)

Chinese Chicken Lettuce Wraps

Baked Potatoes

Fresh Picked Asparagus

Mashed Potatoes

Fried Rice

Baked Sweet Potatoes

Maggies' Famous French Toast

Potato Pancakes

Corned Beef Hash

Omelets, fried eggs, soft boiled eggs, hard boiled eggs, and egg salad

Spaghetti and Meatballs

Lentil Soup

Broccoli Soup

Oh yes - and please lets not forget the
Cherry Pie
Brownies
Cookies
S'mores
Ice Cream
Fresh Strawberries
Homemade Whipped Cream
Blueberry Cobbler
Fresh made caramels
and fudge
The feasting was non-stop. I am at least TWICE as fluffy as I was before I arrived!!!! Everything was so good. How could you say no?
As we pulled out of the driveway to head back home, my son rolled down the window and yelled....."BRENDAN!!!  I WILL MISS YOUR COOKING!!!!!!!" Thankfully his uncle sent home a big care package for my son. I don't think he would have survived the trip home without it. Poor boy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to Comment, Post Doodle Pictures and Share your Thoughts!