Wednesday, February 2, 2011

And The Wind ROARED

Day Two - No school again! We are definitely feeling the full force of the winter storm out here.  We have so much ice that we have ice upon ice.  Everything is coated with an inch of solid ice.  Our backyard is a total ice slope.  The dogs literally slide down the hill while trying to go to the bathroom. The wind is furiously blowing.  I had to take my son to the orthodontist this morning because for some reason, THEY WERE OPEN! Mr. Yesteryear Acres started to thaw the car around 7:30am this morning and it took over an hour before the carsicle defrosted.  Even the tires were glazed in ice.  We gingerly headed out to the orthodontist by taking teeny tiny baby steps.  I ran to the grocery store to stock up on a few items while my son was at his appointment and almost came crashing to the ground when I put my foot in a patch of black ice.  It looked wet like everything else around here but it was a solid slick patch of ice that almost did me in.  When I pushed my cart of groceries to the car the wind was blowing so hard it took my hat OFF my head.  No hood, no hat, no steering ability.  People in their cars gave me the look that said, "Let's Get Out of Here! We don't need anything in the store!!!"  It is brutally cold, brutally windy and SO slippery.  Mother Nature has won this round for sure.  Early this morning my son and I had a rather small but loud argument.  He was worried about his dog sliding down the hill.  My son was wearing a T-shirt and sleep pajama bottoms.
My son: "I am going outside to check on my dog"

Me: "You can see your dog from here- she is OK. She will make it back up the hill"

My son, sliding on his CROCS: "No! I am going outside!"

Me: "NOT WEARING THAT YOU AREN'T!"

My son: "I AM FINE!"

Me: "GET BACK IN HERE! YOU ARE NOT GOING OUTSIDE LIKE THAT!"

My son: "MOM! STOP! I AM FINE! STOP BEING SUCH A MOM! I AM......
Yep! Out slipped his feet and WHAM! He landed HARD right on his backside.  He will be SO sore tomorrow and he really hit the ice. Did I run right outside to go help him? Nope. Did he look at me with sorrow in his eyes? Nope.  Was he laughing because he KNEW right then and there that this was all on him? Yep!  I believe I said something really special.  Really meaningful.  Really heartfelt. I believe it was, "See? You should listen to your mother".  Mother's really do know best.  I guess Mother Nature knows best too.  We should all stay inside where it is safe and warm!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to Comment, Post Doodle Pictures and Share your Thoughts!