Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Making of a Dinner

I love to cook.  I mean I really love to cook.  We rarely go out to eat at restaurants, don't do fast foods or convenience foods.  We love food from scratch right down to homemade bread. So of course when I broke my ankle our immediate thought here at Yesteryear Acres was...WHAT WILL WE DO FOR DINNER?  The first few nights after I broke my ankle, Mr. Yesteryear Acres made some fabulous dishes. He is really a great cook. He wishes he could cook more but he has so many chores to do that cooking isn't a top priority. Doggies and puppies definitely come first.  Our sweet neighbor and my mom also brought some food over which was ever so appreciated.  We probably could continue with that routine but OH MAN - I can't stay out of the kitchen!  Mr. Yesteryear Acres missed my cooking. My son missed my cooking.  I missed my own cooking. So there was no alternative except to be creative and start cooking.  Even though I have to cook balanced on one leg - cooking is happening.  It. Just. Takes. A. Very. Very. Very. Very. Very. Long. Time.  As in the things I can do in 30 minutes -now take 90 minutes.  I am literally sweating from the enormous output of extra effort by the time the food reaches the table. Yet...... it is all worth it.  It just takes a little bit of ingenuity. For example - how to retrieve a saute pan from the cabinet. Hop/roll to cabinet. Open cabinet doors.  Take out saute pan. Put on stool. Hop/roll two steps.  Reach behind me.  Grab saute pan. Stretch out as far as I can, precariously balancing on one foot, place saute pan on counter. Hop/roll 4 steps.  Reach behind me. Grab saute pan.  Stretch out and place or perhaps toss saute pan to sink counter. Hop/roll another 3-4 steps. Reach behind me. Grab Saute pan. Stretch on tiptoe of one balanced foot and put saute pan on burner. Feel proud.  Then think..... I need butter. Hop/roll to refrigerator. Open refrig without knocking myself over. Grab butter. Put butter on counter.  Repeat the counter/sink/stove steps. Get to stove. Feel PROUD AGAIN!  Think .... I forgot a knife. I need an onion. I need the apples. The noodles are in the bottom cabinet. The pasta pot is still in the pot cabinet.  I need water. ACK! I am sure you can see where the 90 minutes goes! In the end, it is all worth it.  What did I prepare? A passion fruit glazed pork tenderloin on a bed of stuffing made with fresh squeezed orange juice, orange segments, passion fruit, cherries and caramelized onions. Yes. I roll like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to Comment, Post Doodle Pictures and Share your Thoughts!