Sunday, May 6, 2012

Blackie

For the past few weeks Mr. Yesteryear Acres has been telling me about a black squirrel that has been enjoying our oak tree. Evidently our acorns are delicious!  Up until this morning, I had yet to see the squirrel. I would run to the window in eager anticipation only to have "just missed it". I was beginning to wonder if Mr. Yesteryear Acres was making the whole thing up. The first time I ever saw a black squirrel was the first time I ever vacationed up north in Michigan.  I ran to the window screaming, "OH MY GOSH!  YOU WON'T BELIEVE IT!  THERE IS A BLACK SQUIRREL IN THE TREE!"  My dad just sat in his chair.  As if seeing a black squirrel was not the most fantastic thing he had ever heard. As if seeing a black squirrel wasn't some sort of miracle!  I said, did you HEAR me???  THERE IS A BLACK SQUIRREL OUTSIDE!!!!  It was then I learned that almost ALL the squirrels up north were black.  Evidently it was NOT a miracle. I still gazed out the window staring at the squirrel in deep admiration. It was so silky looking. It was so different. It was so beautiful. It wasn't too long before that squirrel was visited by a few more black squirrel friends and I could see that perhaps someone from up north might vacation down here and run to the window screaming, "OH MY GOSH!  YOU WON'T BELIEVE IT!  THERE IS A GREY SQUIRREL IN THE TREE!" No matter how many times I see a black squirrel - I am always as excited as the very first time I saw one.  I think they are awesome. Well this morning, Mr. Yesteryear Acres yelled that the black squirrel was out front - AND I SAW HIM!  I said, "Oh he is SO CUTE! We have our very own black squirrel!  We should name him!"  Mr. Yesteryear Acres informed me that he already had a name.  His name is Blackie.  Welcome to Yesteryear Acres Blackie!  I am so happy you are here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to Comment, Post Doodle Pictures and Share your Thoughts!