Sunday, July 8, 2012

I miss her already!


Today is my older daughter’s very last day at home.  Sadly, I will miss her last day here.  I had made promises to deliver some puppies today and as much as my heart longs to be at home for our last day together, as always, puppies and commitments come first. I will be on the road all day and today will be the last time my sweet daughter will truly live here under our roof. First thing tomorrow she heads for the Marine Base in Quantico, Virginia to begin The Basic School training. We never expected to have this month together as a family. The original plan was for her to report to duty immediately following her graduation at the Naval Academy.  Her company report time changed and we were blessed with this gift of one month together at home.  The best part about having her home for the month was saying good-morning to her every morning. Having lunch with her every afternoon. Eating dinner together every night.  Saying good-night to her every evening. Laughing until I cried every single day.  The worst part about having her home for the month is now I am SO used to saying good-morning to her every morning. Having lunch with her every afternoon. Eating dinner together every night.  Saying good-night to her every evening. Laughing until I cry every single day. When she left for the Naval Academy four years ago, I thought I would never get used to her absence. It was the saddest moment of my life. Eventually a new rhythm of life formed and although I missed her with my entire being, I learned how to set the table at night for four people instead of five.  Then when my younger daughter left for her first year of college, I learned how to set the table for three people. This past month I have had all five of my loved ones at the table and that has been the most precious gift. I feel as though I am starting all over again….tomorrow I will set the table for four…and my heart breaks once again. I miss her already.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to Comment, Post Doodle Pictures and Share your Thoughts!