Friday, July 2, 2010

The Eastern Seaboard must be Sinking

My daughter and I were on the road at precisely O' Dark-Thirty. It was a little bit of a challenge to let the 2 chocolate pups out at that hour and then find them in the darkness LOL.  All 3 puppies were SO good for the trip.  They were just the best puppy travelers.  Our trip was full of beautiful views.  We saw the sun rise.  We saw clouds linger heavily over the ponds and lakes in the early morning hours.  We saw beautiful mountains and gorgeous vistas.  We sang and laughed and listened to an awesome book tape and were in New Jersey in record time.  All the puppy families met us early and the morning could not have been more perfect.  I was so tickled to have such awesome prompt puppy families waiting for us and the puppies were excited to meet their new owners.  I got to meet the special needs child and he gave me the sign for "thank you" and I even got to hear him say his puppy's name, "Bo".  It was heartwarming and just made me feel so happy to see him love his new puppy.  My daughter and I quickly cleaned out our puppy mobile and were back on the road in no time.  We headed towards the George Washington Bridge...... yes - towards New York City on the beginning of the 4th of July weekend.  Now I am sure ALL of the people reading this who live ANYWHERE near NYC already know how horrible the rest of my story is - but I had NO idea what was in store for me. I didn't realize that the entire country was defecting and heading towards the eastern seaboard.  I didn't realize that freeway systems could hold six lanes of cars and trucks squeezed into 3 lanes.  I didn't realize that folding in my side mirrors would be necessary just to be able to fit in one of the new "lanes".  I also didn't realize that all the people defecting to the eastern seaboard took traveling at LESS than 15 mph as a standard way of life. OH MY GOODNESS!!!  It took us 2 hours to travel 25 miles.  It took longer for us to travel from New York City to Connecticut than it did for us to travel from Ohio to New Jersey! The most depressing thing was watching the GPS "time remaining" NEVER change.  At one point the GPS indicated that we had 65 minutes left of travel for over 90 minutes.  That is right. In 90 minutes of travel - our estimated time remaining didn't change by a single minute. Where did all these people come from?  Why were they all traveling Eastward?  How can the Eastern Seaboard support that many vehicles without sinking into the ocean? Almost 15 hours after we began our journey, we arrived at our hotel room. I did think that if I had traveled by plane, I could have made it to Europe or Australia or even China by the time I got to Connecticut.  The good news is that we suffered no fender benders as the multitudes of drivers we passed had encountered. We never ran out of gas, never ran out of food or water, or ran out of most excellent conversationsand laughter. We are happy to have arrived safely. I know we will both sleep soundly tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to Comment, Post Doodle Pictures and Share your Thoughts!